+ Why does The Globe and Mail have an event venue, and can anyone book it?
- The Globe and Mail Centre is an event venue at the new headquarters of Canada’s leading news organization. We relocated to our new home on the top floors of 351 King Street East in December 2016. We are happy to open our doors and invite all corporate and private clients to discover the city from our perspective. The incomparable views, executive level finishes, and an experienced team will elevate your event experience. We look forward to working with you!
+ How do I book my event at The Globe and Mail Centre?
- Please submit an inquiry form found on the website under the “Book Now” tab. A member of our sales team will respond with date availability and rates within 24 hours.
+ How much does it cost to rent the venue?
- Venue rental rates vary depending on day of the week, time of year, the type of event and the duration. The venue rental rate can be as low as $3,500 for a day or evening program.
+ What is included in the venue rental rate?
- The venue rental rate will have exclusive use of the entire 17th floor indoor spaces. This includes Event Hall, Lounge, Green Room, Catering Facilities, Coat Check and Registration Desk. The Terrace is available seasonally for an additional charge. All in-house furniture is included: 52 of 6 foot x 36 inch black rectangular tables, 300 black leatherette banquet chairs, 8 charcoal grey gallery benches, and 15 white cruiser tables. In-house furniture set-up and post-event cleaning are also included.
- Separate from the venue rental are venue staff charges, AV services, beverage services and any third-party services such as catering or event rentals.
+ How do my guests get to the venue for the event?
- If your guests are driving from the east-end, they can drive south on DVP, exit Richmond St (downtown), left on Berkeley St., right on King St. Follow until 351 King Street East. Guests driving from the west-end can drive west on Gardiner, exit Jarvis St., turn left (northbound), turn right onto King St. Follow until 351 King Street East. Guests arriving by TTC from the west-end can take the King streetcar (#504/ #503/ #514) eastbound from King subway station and exit at Ontario St. Guests arrive by TTC from the east-end can take the King streetcar (#504) westbound from Broadview Station and exit at Ontario St. You can use the following Google Maps link to our location to send to your guests: https://goo.gl/maps/MFWXq8AjNRR2. During events, we have an elevator greeter stationed in the ground-floor lobby, beside the main elevators for the entire duration of the event greeting guests and ensuring they are going directly to the 17th floor via our dedicated elevators. Hourly staffing rates apply.
+ Is there parking?
- There is no parking available in the building. There are a number of parking lots within a few minutes walk. Please see the “Location” tab on our website for a map outlining the location of Green P parking lots. Northern Valet is our preferred valet company and can provide a quote for a number of parking solutions for your guests. Please contact them directly for a quote.
+ Do you provide catering services?
- We do not provide catering services, however we have carefully selected five spectacular preferred caterers. Please contact them directly for a quote for food, food service and rentals.
+ Do you provide beverage services?
- Yes. The Globe and Mail Centre manages all soft beverage and liquor service and we offer both host and cash bar options. View our current beverage menu here.
+ Are there food and beverage minimums?
- The Globe and Mail Centre does not impose food or beverage minimums, nor do we charge administration or gratuity fees.
+ Do I need insurance?
- Yes. All bookings on Level 17 are required to provide proof of insurance documentation of $2 million liability listing The Globe and Mail as additional insured. More information will be provided with a rental inquiry.
+ Do you have in-house event planners?
- While we do not have event planners on our staff, we have two preferred planning companies we recommend who offer planning services: Candice and Alison and FifthElementGroup.
+ Do I have to use your preferred vendors/suppliers?
- The only exclusive supplier is Event Rental Group, who supplies all rental equipment and furniture. We are happy to recommend the additional suppliers on our preferred list. You are able to bring in your own supplier for any other event products or services. All vendors will be required to complete and submit the following documents in advance of your event: a Vendor Form, Proof of Insurance and WSIB documentation that evidences good standing.
+ Can you provide a floor plan?
- Our Events Manager and Production Manager will work closely with you and your planner/caterer and create a floor plan custom to your event that is inclusive of in-house furniture, AV requirements, food and beverage stations and all installations and activations, with updates sent to you for approval throughout the planning process. General floor plans can be viewed on the “Floor Plans” page of our website.
+ Who manages the venue during an event?
- We have a roster of experienced and professional Venue Supervisors that are employees of The Globe and Mail Centre. The Events Manager and Operations Manager provide our Venue Supervisors with full event details in advance of your event. Our Venue Supervisors arrive onsite as per your event agenda. Please see our Contract Appendix and Venue Guide for more details, including break and other requirements. Hourly staffing charges apply.
+ How is staffing determined for my event?
- In order to ensure service excellence, The Globe and Mail Centre has established Standard Staff Packages based on event type and attendance level, including all duties required to support venue related activities during your event. The Standard Staff Packages will be charged per staff member at a set hourly rate and all staff roles will be listed on your preliminary quote. This excludes food service staff, which is provided by your caterer. Please refer to the Contract Appendix and Venue Guide for more details.
+ What if I want Globe Media sponsorship for my event?
- Kindly forward your proposal to the Managing Director, Natasha Mytnowych at email@example.com and we will direct your inquiry to our colleagues responsible for media sponsorship at The Globe and Mail. While we would love to accommodate all requests, sponsorship considerations are based on many factors and are considered at the discretion of the media sponsorship team.
+ How many event spaces do you have available?
- Level 17 has two main event spaces that run parallel to each other, the Event Hall and Lounge, with a walk-out to the rooftop Terrace. Level 16 has five smaller meeting rooms that range from 400 - 900 square feet and are connected to the venue via a grand staircase. You can find floor plans here and a gallery of images here.
+ What is the capacity of your spaces?
- The Globe and Mail Centre is a flexible, purpose-built venue allowing for multiple configurations. Capacity will vary based on specific event setup and requirements.
- Level 17 has a total capacity of 400 guests, inclusive of any combination of spaces. Maximum capacities in the Event Hall / Lounge are:
- Theatre/Presentation – 280 to 320
- Classroom – 150
- Conference / Rectangular Tables – 260 to 300
- Seated Dinner & Dance - 240 to 260
- Round Tables – 200 to 300
- Reception – 400
- Boardroom Table – 80
- U-shaped Table - 60
- The Terrace offers additional Reception Space for up to 220 (included in the 400 floor capacity).
- Multiple break-out spaces are also available on Level 16, with capacities ranging from 16 to 40.
+ Can I rent just part of Level 17 (e.g., Terrace only)?
- The rental of the Event Hall and Lounge includes exclusive use of the event spaces on entire floor, with the option to add on the Terrace. The Terrace cannot be rented on its own.
+ Can I move a car up to the event space for showcase purposes?
- No. Unfortunately it is not possible to bring a car into the venue, the first floor lobby or on the property of 351 King Street East. However, you can have a hologram or projection map that simulates a car - our AV Services provider can suggest vendors that offer car-simulating services.
+ Can the Terrace be tented?
- At this time we do not have capabilities to secure tenting to the exterior of the building. The Terrace is available seasonally from April – October, in fair weather only and with programming adhering to local noise by-laws.
+ Do you have a coat check? How is it staffed?
- We have an automated coat check room that can accommodate 400 coats as well as extra space for briefcases and suitcases. The Globe and Mail Centre provides coat check service. Hourly staffing charges apply and are included in our Standard Staffing Packages.
+ What AV equipment do you have?
- As one of the most digitally innovative conference and event venues in Canada, your audio-visual (AV) services will be customized to support your event. Our Production Manager will work closely with you to quote on the most efficient AV package and deliver the technical requirements specific to your event. Some of the features available in our AV packages include five projection screens with 13,500 lm laser projectors; cameras for live-eye video, capture and streaming; multiple lighting zones and custom event lighting; high fidelity audio systems; hearing assist system; and multiple power and audio connection points throughout the venue.
+ Do I have to use your AV company EPiQ Vision? Can I bring in my own speakers/AV equipment?
- EPiQ Vision is the only supplier that is permitted to plug into and/or operate our AV infrastructure, including power and lighting systems. You may bring in a specialty supplier to operate external equipment, however an EPiQ Vision technician will facilitate any power or additional operational requirements. Only EPiQ Vision-supplied equipment can plug into our data/operational systems. EPiQ Vision provides exceptional service, has expert knowledge of the venue and can curate a bespoke AV package specific to your requirements. If you bring in a specialty supplier to operate external equipment, an outside AV provider fee will apply.
+ Are there time/volume restrictions for amplified sound day or night?
- Our system has volume limits to protect the equipment and adhere to facility protocols. Our AV technicians will work with you to establish volume maximums prior to the event. Volume maximums can be reduced at any time at the discretion of venue staff. Amplified sound is not permitted on the Terrace after 11 p.m (10 p.m. on Sundays).
+ What are SOCAN and ReSound fees?
- These are mandatory fees that The Globe and Mail Centre collects and remits to SOCAN and ReSound for the right to play recorded copyrighted music during events.
Executive Meeting Rooms - Level 16
+ Do the Meeting Rooms have WIFI?
- Yes. All Meeting Rooms have their own dedicated WIFI connection and password.
+ Is there built-in teleconferencing?
+ Are the Meeting Rooms plug and play?
- Yes. All Meeting Room functionalities are managed by an easy-to-use Crestron system (a small digital board mounted on the wall) that digitally manages air media, projector and screens, sound, lighting and window coverings.
+ Are there projectors and screens?
- Yes. All Meeting Rooms have between one and two (depending on the size of the room) ceiling mounted 7000 lumen projectors and drop down screens.
+ Do you have laser pointers?
- These can be rented through our AV Services Provider EPiQ Vision.
+ Do you have White Boards?
- Yes. Each Meeting Room comes equipped with a minimum of two white boards.
+ Is there access to a computer?
- These can be rented through our AV Services Provider EPiQ Vision.
+ What type of window coverings are in the rooms?
- All Meeting Rooms have both sun shades and black-out blinds.
+ Can additional AV equipment be provided?
- Yes. Our AV Services Provider EPiQ Vision can service all of your technical requirements.
+ Will there be maintenance support for the AV equipment?
- Each Meeting Room booking comes with a technician to assist with patching into the system. While all of our Meeting Rooms are plug and play, external laptops often need a technician’s assistance.
+ Will the room be secure if we leave for lunch?
- A member of our events team can lock up and provide access at your request.
+ What happens if I need to make a last minute cancellation?
- Last minute cancellations will result in a lost deposit or payment according to the terms on page 6 of the Contract Appendix.
+ Are the Meeting Rooms accessible for set-up before the times outlined in the contract?
- No. Please ensure you have confirmed arrival and departure times with our Events Manager in advance.
+ Can I have a catered lunch?
- Yes. We have a servery on Level 16. Please contact one of our preferred caterers directly for a quote for food service and rentals.
+ Do you have self-serve coffee options?
- Yes. The Globe and Mail Centre can provide self-serve coffee/tea/juice stations upon request in advance. See our beverage menu here. Hourly staffing charges will apply.
+ Can I bring alcohol into the room?
- The Globe and Mail Centre holds the liquor license for both Level 16 and 17. We have an extensive Beverage Menu with competitive pricing and you are only charged for what you consume. Please contact our Events Manager for more details.
+ Are there any staffing charges on top of the room rental rate?
- A regular Meeting Room booking is between 8 a.m. - 5p.m. Outside of these hours, a Venue Supervisor is required. Hourly staffing charges apply.
+ Do you have multiple day discounts?
- Yes. Please contact our Sales Manager for more details.
+ What is the capacity of the Meeting Rooms?
- The Meeting Rooms range from 400 - 900 square feet and can accommodate up to 40 guests for a boardroom style set-up or 50 guests for an intimate stand-up reception.
+ What type of set-up can be accommodated in the Meeting Rooms?
- Each Meeting Room has a standard configuration. Additional configurations can be accommodated. Hourly staffing charges apply.
+ How do we get to Level 16?
- Level 16 can be accessed by the main elevators from the lobby.
+ What if our meeting runs later than expected?
- Unless arranged in advance, your meeting must conclude at the time stated on the contract.
Food and Beverage
+ Can I use a caterer outside of your list?
- Yes, however a 20% landmark fee will apply. Preferred caterers have access to a discounted 15% landmark fee.
+ What is a landmark fee?
- A landmark fee is a percentage calculated on the total food and service that is included on the caterer’s invoice and then remitted to the venue. This covers the operating and maintenance costs for the onsite kitchen facilities.
+ Do you have kitchen facilities?
- Yes. Our catering kitchens are fully equipped with Alto-shams, Combi-ovens, under-counter refrigeration and freezer space, ice machines, stainless steel counter space and coffee machines, all resulting in reduced rental costs for your caterer.
+ Can we barbecue on the Terrace?
- Yes. It is possible to access a BBQ on the South terrace. The BBQ service must be provided by one of our Preferred Caterers and BBQ rental fees apply.
+ Can I bring in my own liquor?
- No. The Globe and Mail Centre holds the liquor license and as per AGCO standards must purchase all liquor beverages. Any products outside of our Beverage Menu and/or donated products must be pre-approved and procured by the venue on our license. Corkage fees apply.
+ Can I bring in my own bartenders/security?
- No. The Globe and Mail Centre provides all beverage service and security staff.
+ Can we add more bars for larger events?
- Yes. Satellite bars can be added upon request. Rental costs for bar furniture will apply.